Lt. Col. Brian Vance serves as the Deputy Commander, Space Base Delta 3, Los Angeles Air Force Base, El Segundo, California. He oversees five squadrons and six staff agencies, totaling over 840 personnel with $1.3 billion in physical plant assets and manages the annual execution of a $60 million budget. SBD-3 provides medical, civil engineering, communications, chaplain, security, logistics, personnel, readiness, and quality-of-life services to the Space Systems Command and many other Department of Defense units in the Los Angeles basin.
Lt. Col. Vance received his commission through Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Mississippi. He has held various leadership positions across all Financial Management disciplines highlighted by operation and maintenance positions in Air Force Materiel Command, Air Education and Training Command, Air Combat Command and while twice deployed in the United States Air Forces Central Area of Responsibility. He also served in acquisition assignments at Hanscom Air Force Base, Los Angeles Air Force Base, and a cost assignment at Headquarters Air Force.
2000 Bachelor of Business Administration, University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.
2001 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Acquisition Professional Development Program, Financial Management, Level I
2004 Acquisition Professional Development Program, Program Management, Level I
2004 Master of Business Administration, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, Mass.
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Defense Financial Management and Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2016 Department of Defense Financial Management, Level III
2020 Acquisition Professional Development Program, Financial Management, Level II
1. June 2000–June 2001, Assistant Regional Director of Admissions, AFROTC Detachment 430, North Dakota State University, Fargo, N.D.
2. June 2001–September 2001, Student, Financial Management Basic Officer’s Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. October 2001–November 2003, Lead Weapon Systems Analyst, AWACS Systems Program Office, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
4. July 2003–November 2003, Deployed as Comptroller in support of OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM at 4 forward operating locations throughout United States Air Forces Central Area of Responsibility
5. November 2003–October 2004, Financial Management Officer, 66th Air Base Wing, 66th Comptroller Squadron, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
6. October 2004–July 2006, Chief of POM Integration, Headquarters Air University Plans and Programs, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2006–June 2008, Chief, Financial Services Division, Headquarters Air University Financial Management, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2008–June 2010, Chief, Officer Workforce Development, Workforce Management Directorate, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
9. November 2009–June 2010, Deployed as Comptroller, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates
10. July 2010–May 2011, Weapons System Cost Analyst, Cost Factors Branch, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Cost and Economics, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. May 2011–June 2013, Financial Management Analyst, Program and Budget Branch, Office of the Comptroller, Directorate of Management, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2013–June 2015, Commander, 17th Comptroller Squadron and Wing Staff Agencies, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
13. July 2015–June 2017, Commander, 366th Comptroller Squadron and Wing Staff Agencies, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
14. July 2017–August 2019, Deputy Chief, Program Control Division, Global Positioning Systems Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
15. September 2019–July 2020, Chief Financial Officer, Production Corps, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
16. August 2020–August 2021, Deputy Commander, 61st Air Base Group, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
17. August 2021–July 2022, Deputy Commander, Los Angeles Garrison, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
18. July 2022–present; Deputy Commander, Space Base Delta 3, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
May 2011–June 2013, Financial Management Analyst, Program and Budget Branch, Office of the Comptroller, Directorate of Management, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. as a major.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with oak leaf cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
2003, Airborne Warning and Control System, Systems Program Office Junior Company Grade Officer of the Year
2007, Headquarters Air University Financial Management Company Grade Officer of the Year
2007, Financial Services Office of the Year, AETC
2016, Financial Analysis Office of the Year, ACC
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 31, 2000
First Lieutenant May 31, 2002
Captain May 31, 2004
Major April 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2015
(Current as of January 2022)