Col. Robert Davis is the Program Executive Officer, Space Sensing Directorate, Space Systems Command, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California. In this role, Colonel Davis leads the Space Force directorate responsible for a $23 billion portfolio of persistent space sensing capabilities which span entire program lifecycle including prototyping, development, production, fielding, operational sustainment, and commercial acquisitions. Space Sensing is spearheading the U.S. Space Force’s pivot to a more diverse and resilient space architecture to prevail against the threat.
Col. Davis commissioned into the Air Force in 2000 as a graduate of the University of Portland ROTC program. Following commissioning, Colonel Davis performed an operational exchange tour as an aircraft maintenance officer before continuing his career as a space acquisition professional. He has held a variety of assignments in the space mission area with a focus on space control and overhead intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance capabilities, to include satellite acquisition, launch, operations, and associated staff work for both the Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office. Colonel Davis cross-commissioned into the Space Force in 2021.
Prior to assuming the Space Sensing PEO role, Davis served as Senior Material Leader for the Strategic Satellite Communications Acquisition Delta within SSC’s Military Communications and Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Program Executive Office, where he led a combined team of over 150 military, government civilians, and contractors in the development and acquisition of a $20B portfolio encompassing the Evolved Strategic SATCOM and Enhanced Polar Systems Recapitalization Programs. Colonel Davis cross-commissioned into the Space Force in 2021.
2000 – Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, ROTC Distinguished Graduate, University of Portland, Portland, OR
2001 – Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Distinguished Graduate
2004 – Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Concentration in Operations and Management Science, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M.
2005 – Squadron Officer School, Top-Third Graduate
2010 – Air Force Intern Program, Strategic Policy Intern
2017 – Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Distinguished Graduate
- July 2000 – July 2003, Accessories Flight Commander, Propulsion Flight Commander, 58th Maintenance Squadron, Sortie Support Flight Commander, 551st Special Operations Squadron, Sortie Generation Flight Commander, 550th Special Operations Squadron, and then 550th Aircraft Maintenance Unit Officer-in-Charge, 58th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
- July 2003 – July 2006, Flight Commander, Chief, Launch Readiness, and then Chief, Launch and Integration, National Reconnaissance Office Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colorado
- July 2006 – May 2007, Air Force Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- May 2007 – September 2007, Personal Security Coordination Center, Multi-National Forces-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
- October 2007 – June 2010, Deputy, then Chief, Delta Payload Launch Integration and Operations, Office of Space Launch, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
- July 2010 – June 2012, Chief, Satellite Operations Engineering Branch, Operating Location-Alpha, 3rd Space Experimentation Squadron, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
- June 2012 – June 2014, Chief, Space Control Science and Technology Section, and then Chief, Space Control Mission Integration Branch, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado
- June 2014 – July 2016, Material Leader, Imagery Spacecraft Program Manager, Electro-Optical Systems Program Office, Imagery Intelligence Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
- August 2016 – June 2017, Student, Eisenhower School of National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
- June 2017 – June 2021, Chief, Department of Defense Special Access Program, Policy, and Governance, and then Deputy Directory, Department of Defense Special Access Program Central Office, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon, Virginia
- June 2021 – June 2023, Senior Materiel Leader, Strategic Systems Division, Space Development, Space & Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, California
- June 2023 – Present, Program Executive Officer, Space Sensing Directorate, Space Systems Command, Los Angeles AFB, California
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with three Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with one Oak Leaf Cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with one Bronze Star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal with one Bronze Star
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant 28 May 2000
First Lieutenant 28 May 2002
Captain 28 May 2004
Major 1 December 2009
Lieutenant Colonel 1 December 2013
Colonel 1 January 2020
(Current as of June 2023)