Colonel Brian A. Denaro is the Program Executive Officer for Space Sensing, Space Systems Command, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California. He is responsible for a $23 billion portfolio of persistent space sensing capabilities that span the lifecycle across prototyping, development, production, fielding, operational sustainment and commercial acquisitions.
Col. Denaro received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 2000 with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. He has served in various positions within defense acquisition, intelligence, and international affairs. Col. Denaro served on the team that successfully executed Initial Operational Test and Evaluation of the F-22 Raptor. He is an Olmsted Foundation Scholar who studied in Guangzhou, China and served as a former USAF Foreign Area Officer. His notable staff tours include Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, US Pacific Command as Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, and Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence.
Col. Denaro served as Commander of the Aircraft Analysis Squadron at the National Air and Space Intelligence Center. Prior to his current assignment, Col. Denaro was the Senior Materiel Leader and Division Chief for the Strategic Systems Division at Los Angeles Air Force Base, California.
2000 Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
2000 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, AL
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL
2008 International Master of Business Administration, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
2011 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2013 Joint Professional Military Education Level II, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, VA
2017 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, DC
1. October 2000 – May 2002, Scientific and Technical Intelligence Collection Officer, 315th Intelligence Squadron, Yokota AB, Japan
2. May 2002 – April 2003, Chief of Overt Collection, Detachment 4, 692nd Information Operations Group, Yokota AB, Tokyo, Japan
3. April 2003 – August 2005, F-22 Aeronautical Test Engineer, 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron, Edwards AFB, CA
4. August 2005 – September 2008, Olmsted Scholar, Guangzhou, China
5. September 2008 – July 2010, China-Japan Regional Affairs Strategist, A5I International Affairs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, HI
6. July 2010 – October 2012, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander US Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, HI
7. October 2012 – June 2013, J81 Program Manager Strategic Capabilities Office, US Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, HI
8. June 2013 – June 2015, Commander, Aircraft Analysis Squadron, National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
9. June 2015 – June 2016, Chief, Global Hawk Modernization, RQ-4 System Program Office, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
10. June 2016 – June 2017, Student, National War College, Washington D.C.
11. June 2017 – June 2019, Deputy Director for Special Programs, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2019 – August 2021, Senior Materiel Leader, Strategic Systems Division, Space Development, Space & Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
13. August 2021 – March 2022, Program Executive Officer for Space Development, Space Systems Command, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
14. March 2022 – present, Program Executive Officer for Space Sensing, Space Systems Command, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2010 – June 2013, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander and J81 Program Manager Strategic Capabilities Office, US Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, HI
June 2017 – June 2019, Deputy Director for Special Programs, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Junior Engineer of the Year 2004
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 6, 2000
First Lieutenant June 6, 2002
Captain June 6, 2004
Major January 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2013
Colonel May 1, 2018
(Current as of March 2022)